Overview - Creating syncing ThruText campaigns
You can integrate your ThruText account with your VAN instance and bring your Activist Codes, Survey Questions, Events, and Canvass Results into your ThruText campaigns when creating surveys. Responses to these surveys will be written back to your VAN data file.
You can sync the following data:
- Survey Questions and Activist Codes are available for sync through both MyVoter and MyCampaign.
- Events are only available through MyCampaign.
- Canvass Results are only available through MyVoter.
NOTE - Freeform surveys cannot sync back to VAN. Information typed in will need to be bulk uploaded to your committee as "notes."
VAN contact history will be updated when contacts are first texted within the campaign (only if the "Texted" status is enabled) and when survey responses are logged. If you haven't set up your VAN integration yet, click here to learn how to get set up.
After that, you'll need to follow these three steps:
Step 1: Upload groups with VAN ids or VAN Campaign ids
When we enable your VAN sync, we will create two important custom fields in your group uploads, van_id (from the voter file) and van_campaign_id (from MyCampaign or your EveryAction/NGP8 instance).
If you want to sync information from ThruText to VAN for a particular group, you must upload your list with your VAN ids mapped. For more information on uploading VAN-mapped groups, follow the steps in our guide.
Step 2: Set up ThruText survey questions by importing from VAN
On the Survey Questions page, campaigns that mapped target groups will have additional options in the "Survey Type" drop-down:
ALL groups in your campaign must be mapped to VAN ID (and/or MyCampaign ID) to be properly integrated into VAN. If just one group is not mapped to a VAN ID field, then you will not see the "VAN Question Type" option.
NOTE - If you do not see the "VAN Question Type" subsection in the Survey Type drop-down, it likely means you did not properly map VAN ID or VAN CAMPAIGN ID in the group upload process. (Refer to Step 1 above.)
Step 3: Collect your data
- See Sync Responses — Survey Questions and Activist Codes for information on collecting and syncing survey questions and activist codes in both MyVoter and MyCampaign.
- See Sync Responses — Canvass Results (MyVoter Only) for information on how to collect and sync canvass results in MyVoter.
- See Sync Responses – Events (Campaign Side Only) for information on how to collect and sync events in MyCampaign/EveryAction (NGP8).
A few notes about contact history updates:
- This synchronization of the "Texted" result code will only occur when the initial "scripted" messages are sent in a campaign that has valid VAN ID (voter) or VAN Campaign ID custom fields attached, or both.
- If multiple initial script messages are sent in ThruText on the same day to a contact with the same VAN Voter ID or VAN Campaign ID within your committee, VAN will only reflect the "Texted" contact history once for that day per file in VAN.
- If VAN-integrated survey question(s) are answered for that contact on the same day, it will change the contact history result code from "Texted" to "Canvassed" and update the timestamp.
- Contacts opted out within a VAN-integrated campaign will sync a contact history record with the result code 'Do Not Text' (if this status is available in your VAN committee). It is important to note that this sync will only occur if the opt-out occurs from within a campaign itself and not if the opt-out is added manually from the account drop-down at the administrative level.
If you have properly set up your ThruText Survey Questions by importing from VAN, the sync will happen automatically as your texters send initial messages and record data. You do not need to press any special "sync to VAN" button at the end of the campaign. Just check your VAN account, and you'll see the data recorded in ThruText show up!