To make calls with ThruTalk you will need:
- An internet connection
- An audio connection - phone, either landline or cell, or computer audio.
- A web browser
Your Internet Connection
Your internet connection is the first of three tools you need. Can you load a streaming video and it plays well? If so, great, you should have no trouble connecting! Make sure to close out all your browser windows and tabs except for the login to ThruTalk. You can keep our help system here open too! See this guide for connection details.
What to Watch for
During your calls, if your internet becomes unstable you may see these issues:
- You are unable to make any selection on the left side of the screen
- After making a selection on the left side of the screen, you do not receive a new call
- Your script moves as it should from question to question for some calls, but then stops
Handling an Issue
If you suspect you are having issues with your internet connection, work through the following fixes:
- Ensure that no one else is currently watching video, streaming music, or using other bandwidth heavy sites such as social media; keep all activity devoted to the dialer
- Test your connection speed with speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. Contact your provider if you see less than 5 Mbps for download or upload speed
- Check for packet loss. If data is getting lost your connection will be unstable. Try this helpful walkthrough to execute a ping command
- You can always easily reset your connection by finding your internet modem and disconnecting the power. Wait for at least thirty seconds and then reconnect the power to the device. The connection should restore and be more stable within a few minutes
- If these ideas do not help, contact your provider to find out if there is an outage or maintenance happening in your area
Your Audio Connection
Your audio connection is the second tool you need.
- Call in Using Computer
- If you are calling from a landline you should be set!
- If you will make calls from a cell phone, do you have a strong cell signal? If not, try rebooting the phone to acquire a fresh connection to the network. Additionally see if a different place to set up your computer, laptop, or tablet might get a stronger signal at your location.
- All Audio and Microphone Issues
- Trouble being heard when calling in from a landline or cell phone
- Trouble being heard when using VOIP by selecting "Call using computer"
- Trouble hearing connected calls when using VOIP by selecting "Call using computer"
What to watch for using a cell phone
If you are experiencing trouble caused by your phone or your cellular connection, you may notice these issues:
- Multiple attempts to enter your PIN are unrecognized by the system when you dial in
- After making a few calls you suddenly find yourself looking at the login screen again
- You are having a hard time hearing the people you call, or they cannot hear you
Handling an Issue with a phone connection
If you think you are having trouble with your phone connection based on the likely issues noted above, work through these solutions:
- Be sure that "Make Calls over Wifi" or "Wifi Calling" is disabled on all phones
- Reboot your phone again if you did not already; the signal often improves
- Try a headset with a microphone. The audio will be louder and your voice clearer
- Move around your location to see where your signal is strongest and move to that spot
- Contact your phone provider to determine if there are known issues in your area
Your Web Browser
Your browser is the third tool you need.
We suggest using Chrome as your browser for making calls in all instances. Firefox also performs well with the dialer system. Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer are not supported.
Turn off your ad blocker and go full screen to ensure you are seeing everything correctly on screen.
What to Watch for
If you are experiencing trouble with your browser, you may notice some of the following performance issues:
- There are gaps in the text you see in the script
- New portions of the script do not appear after choosing an answer to a question
- Nothing appears on your screen after you enter your log in information
- Parts of your screen may be missing such as target details, call results, or the script
Handling an Issue
Based on the above issues if you think you are having problems with your browser, apply these solutions:
- Disable all add-ons or extensions, especially ones that handle ad blocking
- Confirm you are in full screen mode so nothing is hidden or pushed out of the main window
- Check for a new version of your browser, or upgrade to Chrome if you are not using Chrome
- Clear the cache and cookies by clearing browsing history
- If you are using a tablet, we recommend to use Chrome and select the "Request Desktop Site" option. Click on the "Dot Dot Dot" menu option:
In the new menu box that opens, slide down to find the option to prefer "Desktop Site" and tap on the empty box next to "Desktop Site" to activate this feature. Using "Desktop Site" will make sure that the calling script functions properly on your tablet